For More Information
- PhD Electrical Engineering, University of California, Berkeley 2020
- MSE Robotics, University of Pennsylvania 2015
- BSE Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics/Electrical Engineering, University of Pennsylvania 2015
- Assistant Professor, UIUC Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering, 2023-present
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Carnegie Mellon University Department of Mechanical Engineering, 2020-2022
- Robot mechanism design
- Bioinspired robotics
- Robot locomotion and dynamics
- Legged robot design and control
Selected Articles in Journals
- D. W. Haldane, M. M. Plecnik, J. K. Yim, R. S. Fearing, “Robotic Vertical Jumping Agility via Series-elastic Power-modulation,” Science Robotics, vol. 1, iss. 1, 2016.
- M. M. Plecnik, D. W. Haldane, J. K. Yim, R. S. Fearing, “Design Exploration and Kinematic Tuning of a Power Modulating Jumping Monopod,” J. of Mechanisms and Robotics, vol. 9, iss. 1, 2016.
- D. Shishika, J. K. Yim, D. A. Paley, “Robust Lyapunov Control Design for Bioinspired Pursuit With Autonomous Hovercraft,” IEEE Trans. Contr. Syst. Tech., vol. 25, iss. 2, pp. 509-520, 2017.
- Y. Wu, J. K. Yim, J. Liang, Z. Shao, M. Qi, J. Zhong, Z. Luo, X. Yan, M. Zhang, X. Wang, R. S. Fearing, R. J. Full, L. Lin, “Insect-scale fast moving and ultrarobust soft robot,” Science Robotics, 2019.
- J. K. Yim, B. R. P. Singh, E. K. Wang, R. Featherstone, R. S. Fearing, “Precision Robotic Leaping and Landing Using Stance-phase Balance,” Robotics and Automation Letters, 2020.
- J. Liang, Y. Wu, J. K. Yim, H. Chen, M. Zicong, H. Liu, Y. Liu, Y. Liu, D. Wang, W. Qui, Z. Shao, M. Zhang, X. Wang, J. Zhong, and L. Lin, “Electrostatic footpads enable agile insect-scale soft robots with trajectory control,” Science Robotics, 2021.
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- S. Islam*, K. Carter*, J. K. Yim*, J. Kyle, S. Bergbreiter, and A. M. Johnson, “Scalable Minimally Actuated Leg Extension Bipedal Walker Based on 3D Passive Dynamics,” IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Automation (ICRA), 2022 (acceptance rate: 45%) Outstanding locomotion paper finalist
- J. K. Yim, E. K. Wang, R. S. Fearing, “Drift-free Roll and Pitch Estimation for High-acceleration Hopping,” IEEE Int. Conf. Robot. Automation (ICRA), 2019. (acceptance rate: 46%) Received best student paper award
- J. K. Yim, R. S. Fearing, “Precision Jumping Limits from Flight-phase Control in Salto-1P,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intell. Robot. Syst. (IROS), 2018. (acceptance rate: 46%)
- D. W. Haldane*, J. K. Yim*, R. S. Fearing, “Repetitive Extreme-acceleration (14g) Spatial Jumping with Salto-1P,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intell. Robot. Syst. (IROS), 2017. (acceptance rate: 45%) Received best paper award
- D. W. Haldane, M. M. Plecnik, J. K. Yim, R. S. Fearing, “A Power Modulating Leg Mechanism for Monopedal Hopping,” IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. Intell. Robot. Syst. (IROS), pp. 4757-4764, 2016. (acceptance rate 48%)
- D. Shishika, J. K. Yim, D. A. Paley, “Bio-inspired pursuit with autonomous hovercraft using Lyapunov-based control,” American Control Conf. (ACC), 2015. (acceptance rate: 63%)
- Computing Research Association Computing Innovation Fellow 2020 (2020)
- IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) 2019 Best Student Paper Award (2019)
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) 2017 Best Paper (2017)
Recent Courses Taught
- ME 370 - Mechanical Design I
- SE 422 (ME 446, ECE 489) - Robot Dynamics and Control