For more information
- PhD, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2002
- MSc, Mathematics, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2001
- Visiting Professor, University of California, San Diego 2006-2007
- Assistant Professor, University of Colorado, Boulder 2002-2007
Major Consulting Activities
- Consultant, Bell Labs-Lucent Technology, May 2005 - May 2006
- Fellow of the IEEE
Other Professional Activities
- Information Theory Society Fellows Committee
- Board of Governors, Information Theory Society
The current research focus of our group is on
1) Developing new approaches for studying problems in bioinformatics and bioengineering using coding and information theory. In particular, we investigate fundamental questions pertaining to design methodologies for DNA microarrays with error- and quality-control features and DNA microarrays that utilize compressed sensing principles.
2) Providing a bridge between the theory of compressed sensing and superimposed coding; non-linear compressive sensing with quantization and fault-tolerant sensing algorithms.
3) Using coding and information theory to study problems such as RNA folding, reverse engineering of gene-regulatory networks, and cost-constrained genome reversal distances.
4) Constructing and analyzing codes on graphs and developing new methods for studying the combinatorial properties of random ensembles of low-density parity-check codes. Our studies mainly focus on the computational complexity of problems quantifying the error-floor phenomena.
5) Analyzing the connections between network coding, matroid theory, and algebraic coding theory.
6) Analyzing the average case complexity of algorithms in coding theory and computer algebra.
- Communications - Coding theory and applications
- Learning in Hyperbolic Spaces
- Graph Theory
- Applications of Steiner Systems
- Hypergraph clustering
- DNA-Based Data Storage, Coding for DNA-Based Data Storage, String Reconstruction
- Community Detection via Correlation Clustering
- Social Sciences and Voting Theory
- Rank aggregation
- Compressive Sensing
- Signal Processing
- Information Theory
- Constrained Coding
- Error-Control Coding (Algebraic/Iterative)
- Analysis of Algorithms
- Signals, Inference and Networks
- Editor, Foundations and Trends in Information Theory and Communications, 2020-2022.
- Guest-editor-in-chief, Special Issue of the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory dedicated to V. I. Levenshtein, 2019-2020
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Molecular Communication, 2016-2017
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2011-2013
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2009-2011
- Guest Editor in Chief, Special Issue on Information Theory in Molecular Biology and Neuroscience, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 2008.
- Associate Editor for Coding Theory, IEEE Transactions on Communication Theory, 2007-2010.
- Plenary Speaker, International Symposium on Information Theory, 2020.
- Plenary Speaker, Information Theory Workshop, Visby, Sweden, 2019.
- Jack K. Wolf (JKW) Lecturer, UCSD, 2019.
- Distinguished Lecturer, IEEE Information Theory Society, 2018.
- The helix vault: Storing information in DNA macromolecules, SPAWC, Plenary talk, June 2018
- Plenary Speaker, IST Young Scientist Symposium, Austria 2017.
- Plenary Speaker, 7th Annual Henry Taub TCE Conference, Technion
- Plenary Speaker, MIT LIDS Student Conference, 2016
- IEEE Data Storage Technical Committee (DSTC) Best paper award, 2016
- Dean's Excellence in Research Award, 2013
- Willett Scholar, 2013-2017
- Center for Advanced Study Associate, 2013
- Turbo Coding Conference Plenary Speaker, Gottebourgh, Sweden, 2012
- IEEE Fellow (2018)
- Distinguished Lecturer, Information Theory Society 2017-2018. (2017)
- IEEE Data Storage Technical Committee (DSTC) Best paper award, 2016 (2016)
- Best student paper award (jointly with Jayadev Acharya (student award recipient) and A. Orlitsky, ISIT 2010. (2010)
- Top-three paper award, WCMB'08, Leipzig, Germany (2008)
- NSF Career Award (2007)
- DARPA Young Faculty Award (2007)
- Runner-up for best paper award (honorable mentioning), ICC'06, Istanbul, Turkey (2006)
- Rackham Pre-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Michigan (2001)
- Best Undergraduate Thesis Award, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Nis, Yugoslavia
Recent Courses Taught
- ECE 313 (MATH 362) - Probability with Engrg Applic
- ECE 534 - Random Processes
- ECE 556 - Coding Theory
- ECE 563 - Information Theory