For more information
- B.S. in Mathematics, Peking University, China, 2009
- Ph.D in Electrial Engineering, University of Minnesota, 2015.
I am an assistant professor in UIUC IS&E department, and affiliated with CSL and department of ECE. Previously I worked at FAIR (Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research) as a visiting researcher. Before that I was a postdoctoral scholar in Dept. of Management Science & Engineering at Stanford University, working with Yinyu Ye. I obtained my Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering at the University of Minnesota in 2015, under the supervision of Zhi-Quan (Tom) Luo. I received the B.Sc. degree in mathematics from Peking University, Beijing, China in 2009.
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Stanford University, 2015.06-2016.05
- Visiting Scientist, Facebook Artificial Intelligence Research, 2016.06-2016.12
- Signals, Inference and Networks
Selected Articles in Journals
- Guaranteed Matrix Completion via Nonconvex Factorization, Ruoyu Sun, Zhi-Quan Luo, IEEE Transaction on Information Theory 2016
Articles in Conference Proceedings
- Improved Iteration Complexity Bounds of Cyclic Block Coordinate Descent for Convex Problems, NIPS 2015. (21.9% acceptance rate)
- System and Method for Transmission Point (TP)Association and Beamforming Assignment in Heterogeneous Networks . Ruoyu Sun, Mingyi Hong, Hadi Baligh, Zhi-Quan Luo, and Meisam Razaviyayn. U.S. Patent App. 13/757,303, filed Feb. 2013.
- INFORMS Optimization Society Student Paper Competition, Honorable Mention (2015)
- INFORMS George Nicholson Student Paper Competition, Second Place (2015)
Recent Courses Taught
- IE 310 - Determin Models in Optmzation
- IE 510 - Applied Nonlinear Programming
- IE 598 CO (IE 598 ODL) - Optim Theory for Deep Learning
- SE 420 - Digital Control Systems